Professor of American History
University of Kent – School of History
|Salary:||Management and Professorial, starting from £63,287 per annum|
|Placed on:||17th January 2018|
|Closes:||14th February 2018|
The School of History seeks to appoint a Professor in American History, on a full time and ongoing basis, to enhance its exceptionally strong teaching and research profile.
The position is part of an expansion in this subject area that reflects thriving undergraduate numbers and will involve other posts. Applications from specialists in any field of American History are welcome, but the School is particularly keen to enhance its coverage in the areas of race, gender and social history, political history and international relations.
We welcome applications from candidates who have a strong research trajectory based on leadership and international recognition in the field, a robust publication portfolio and an impressive REF submission, external grant capture, a proven track record of postgraduate supervision at doctoral level, and strong evidence of public engagement/impact activity.
As Professor of American History you will:
- teach and convene undergraduate and postgraduate modules in American history and to contribute to curriculum development in this area
- make an outstanding and sustained contribution to the research profile of the School of History through research, successful external funding bids, knowledge exchange and public engagement
- undertake a leadership role in building a research cluster in the School and attracting and supervising high-quality postgraduate applications
- perform a senior management role in the School and in the Centre for American Studies
To be successful in this role you will have:
- PhD in History (or Equivalent)
- proven track-record of teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level
- a sustained record of international excellence in research and publication
- ability to encourage and support all staff, especially early career researchers, in the development of all aspects of their professional career
The School of History at the University of Kent is dedicated to excellence in research, learning and teaching. The School contains thirty one full-time academic staff, half of whom have been appointed since 2001. The latest Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) placed the School 8th nationally for Research Intensity, and our students work alongside lecturers and tutors who are not just excellent teachers, but world-class researchers actively working at the forefront of their chosen field. The School currently offers a range of undergraduate programmes. In recent years it has received consistently high ratings of over 90% student satisfaction for its undergraduate teaching in the National Student Survey. At postgraduate level, it offers MAs by coursework or research, an M.Sc and a full PhD programme.
Interviews are to be held: 07 March 2018
See the links below to view the full job description and also to apply for this post. If you require further information regarding the application process contact The Resourcing Team on email@example.com quoting ref: HUM0829
Applications must be made via the University’s online application system. You will be required to fill in the main details section of the application form as well as upload your CV and a cover letter. Your cover letter should clearly and explicitly address the requirements of the Person specification and you should provide clear evidence and examples in your application which back-up any assertions you make in relation to each criterion. We recommend a maximum of 4 x A4 sides for this document.
CVs or details sent directly to the department or via email cannot be considered.
If you are invited for an interview, we will request references for you at that stage.