The School of English
Dublin City University
Doctoral Research Scholarships
The new School of English DCU is a dynamic research-focused school with expertise in a variety of literary eras and genres including Poetry, Children’s Literature, Irish Studies, American writing, post-colonial literature, nineteenth century writing, the Novel, Drama, and Creative Writing. This is an exciting time for us as we build upon our strengths and traditions in a newly expanded School. As part of our commitment to excellence in postgraduate research the School of English is pleased to offer a scholarship for a full-time PhD student commencing September 2016. The successful candidate will be paid a stipend of €16,000 per annum for up to four years, subject to satisfactory annual progression. Registration fees will also be paid. There will also be a number of scholarships for fees available.
Applicants must have a relevant undergraduate degree at first-class honours level or at least 2.1 level. It is desirable that they should hold a relevant Master’s qualification. Candidates who are currently completing a Master’s qualification are welcome to apply.
The School of English is interested in receiving research proposals in the following areas:
- American Poetry
- Book History
- Children’s Literature generally or directed at the St Patrick’s Campus Library archives including Patricia Lynch Collection, Padraic Colum Collection, Cathal Ó Sándair Collection, Bartlett Puffin Collection.
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Literature
- Experimental Literature
- History of Reading
- Irish Film, Novel, Short Story, Poetry, Theatre, Drama, Women Writers
- Literary Theory
- Literature and Politics
- Literature and Sexuality
- Literature and Sport
- Literature and the Visual Arts
- Popular Literature
- Post-colonial Literature
See Graduate Studies Office on application process: http://www4.dcu.ie/graduatestudies/how_to_apply.shtml
Interested candidates must first agree a research proposal with a School of English staff member. Candidates will be directed to potential supervisors on application.
Email applications to Dr Derek Hand, Head of School, firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating School of English PhD scholarships in the subject line. Applications should include the following:
- A CV including names and contact details of two academic referees.
- A copy of undergraduate and postgraduate degree certificates.
- Copies of transcripts from undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- A letter outlining the candidate’s suitability for the scholarship.
- A research proposal c3000 words accompanied by a bibliography (which is not included in the word count).
Inquiries to Dr Derek Hand, Head of the School of English or Dr Julie Anne Stevens, Director of Research in the School of English at: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Other useful resources:
DCU Graduate Studies Office: http://dcu.ie/graduatestudies/index.shtml
Closing date for applications: May 12th 2016