Deadline for submissions: April 15, 2018
Full name/name of organization: Society for the Study of American Travel Writing
Contact email: email@example.com
The Society for the Study of American Travel Writing invites proposals for the Society for the Study of American Women Writers 2018 Triennial Conference in Denver, Colorado. November 7-11, 2018.
In keeping with the Conference Theme: “Resistance and Recovery across the Americas,” the SSATW seeks proposals that examine the ways American women travelers use their writing to critique society, the nation, and the injustices they experience or observe as travelers.
Whether traveling in America or abroad, women travelers are uniquely positioned
- to observe the lives of people they visit,
- to comment on the restrictions to travel for women,
- to think about the social, economic, and political forces at work in the locations visited and in the nation as a whole,
- to comment on the effects of patriarchal and racist institutions and modes of thinking or behavior on women who travel or reside in the locations visited,
- to observe an environment under the pressure of expansion and development,
- to comment on the tourist industry–its modes of transportation and accommodations as well as the narratives it supports,
- to redefine the traveling self as gendered.
For a fuller description of the SSAWW Triennial Conference, please see the SSAWW website at ssawwnew.wordpress.com.