The Faculty of Arts at the University of Groningen is seeking an Instructor in American Studies for the Spring semester 2017.
The Faculty of Arts is a large dynamic faculty of the University of Groningen, with 16 bachelor’s degree programmes and more than 35 master’s degree programmes. The faculty organizes a large number of interdisciplinary programmes. The department of American Studies, located in the heart of the city of Groningen, is responsible for the bachelor’s and master’s programmes in American Studies and North America Studies, respectively.
The Department of American Studies is seeking to appoint a Junior Lecturer (Docent).
- teach course units in the field of American Studies, specifically American history and cultural theory, within the bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes
- participate in the department’s development of new courses
- supervise a share of BA theses
- perform administrative duties.
We are seeking candidates with experience teaching American Studies, specifically American history and cultural studies, with enthusiasm for working with students. Preferably the candidate holds a PhD in American Studies or related field. In addition, the successful candidate will:
- Hold a bachelor and a master degree in American Studies or related field
- possess an excellent knowledge of English, preferably at native or near-native level
- have previous experience teaching undergraduates
- possess good communicational, administrative and organizational skills
- be able to work constructively and with collegiality in a team of teachers
- be legally eligible to work in The Netherlands.
Conditions of employment:
The University offers a salary dependent on qualifications and work experience with a minimum of € 2,552 till a maximum of € 4,028 gross per month (salary scale 10 Dutch Universities) for a fulltime position. The appointment will be for a period of six months. Date of entry into employment is 1 February 2017. Interviews will take place in early November 2016.
How to apply:
You may apply for this position until 13 October / before 14 October 2016 Dutch local time by means of the application form. Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
Prof. Mike Foley (for more information and a more detailed job description), firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms Elina Hamstra-de Boer (for information on the conditions of employment), email@example.com
The application form can be found here: